There are thousands of species of cockroaches, but Delware Valley typically only sees three types; the German cockroach, the Oriental cockroach and the American cockroach. Indoors, cockroaches are most often found near sources of food and moisture. Roaches commonly enter homes and commercial kitchens through cracks, cardboard boxes, electronics, furniture, produce and public sewer systems. In multi unit dwellings like apartments, condominiums, and townhomes, cockroaches travel through walls infesting rooms as they spread. Contact Patriot Pest Solutions for a FREE estimate on cockroach extermination.
Cockroach Control FAQs
- My house is very clean, why do I have cockroaches? Cockroaches are most often brought home from the store or when items are delivered to the home. If you live in a multi-person establishment, they could be coming from your neighbors unit. A complete inspection of the home will help determine the source of the cockroach infestation.
- Are the smaller cockroaches a different species of cockroach? While it is possible to have two types of roaches in your home, smaller versions of cockroaches are generally immature nymphs of the same species of cockroach.
Types of Cockroaches
American cockroaches are almost always live outside the home, entering through cracks in the structure around pipes and sewer systems. These pests make their way indoors during exceptionally warm or inclement weather. American cockroaches are the largest roach in the Delware Valley, they are also the only cockroach in the area that can fly. They are reddish brown in color and approximately 2 inches long. American cockroaches prefer rotten foods and warmer temperatures. Egg sacks are deposited in protected areas near sources of food.
German cockroaches are the mot difficult roach to exterminate because their egg sacks are carried on their backs. These cockroaches nest in large numbers and are easily identified by the two vertical stripes on thier head and back. German cockroaches are commonly found in cardboard boxes, grocery bags, furniture, electronics, and quickly spread throughout the home. German cockroaches are attracted to warmth and typically live in crevices of microwaves, stove-tops and underneath ovens. These pests also enjoy humid areas like bathrooms and kitchens which offer these pests a source of water indoors.
Oriental cockroaches are both an indoor and outdoor pest. They are shiny and dark brown or black in color. These cockroaches prefer damp, dark areas and are often found in crawl spaces, around drains and pipes and in sewers. Oriental cockroaches tolerate cold better than most species of cockroach, but prefer warmer temperatures.
Cockroaches; Gross, But Fascinating
- There are more than 4,000 species of cockroaches worldwide.
- Cockroaches evolved more than 280 million years ago, in the Carboniferous era.
- Cockroaches are cold-blooded.
- Cockroaches have an open circulatory system, breathing through openings in each segment of their body.
- Cockroaches can live without food for a month, but will only survive a week without water.
- Cockroaches can live for a week without their head. Headless roaches only die because they can’t drink water.
- Cockroaches are able to hold their breath under water for 40 minutes. They hold their breath often to help regulate their loss of water.
- The world’s largest roach lives in South America. It is six inches long with a one foot wingspan.
- American cockroaches love alcoholic beverages, especially beer.
- Baby German cockroaches become adults in as little as 36 days.
Why Do People Trust Patriot Pest Solutions To Remove Cockroaches?
Patriot Pest Solutions offers over 50 years experience in solving cockroach problems. We’re family owned and locally operated. All of our certified, state-licensed technicians are fully insured and ready to eliminate your cockroaches. Our treatment methodology was devised by our own in-house Associate Certified Entomologist, one of twelve in the entire state of Pennsylvania. We know how to get rid of roaches and keep them from coming back.
With over 50 years of experience, you can rest assure that Patriot Pest Solutions can eradicate any pest problem you may have in your residence or commercial property. Our family-owned business offers the best wildlife and pest preventative and removal solutions. We pride ourselves on being a results oriented business offering 100% pest control guarantee.